The city of San Jose has an extensive public bus system that allows students to travel at very low costs. Bus fees in the city range between ¢185 (USD $0.37) and ¢450 (USD $0.91) each way. Most terminals for out-of San José traveling are located downtown, but several bus stops are located along any well-traveled road in the country. The bus rides are paid in cash at the time of use; the system does not offer monthly tickets or student bus tickets. Only senior citizens can receive special discount tickets. Taxis are also very affordable, and rates can range from ¢2,000 ($4USD) to ¢3,500 ($7USD) each way.
Due to ULACIT's central location there are a large number of access routes from different cantons and districts throughout San Jose and Heredia. Among the bus routes that pass through the ULACIT campus area are:
Leaving from San José:
▪ Ipís de Coronado (in front of the Radiográfica Costarricense)
▪ Calle Blancos (100 m East from the Radiográfica Costarricense)
▪ Dulce Nombre de Coronado (in front of the Uribe y Pagés Building)
▪ San Miguel de Santo Domingo (from the Central Post-Office, 100 m North)
▪ San Isidro de Heredia (from the Central Post-Office, 200 m North)
▪ Romilios (in front of the Uribe y Pagés Building)
▪ San Antonio de Coronado (in front of the Uribe y Pagés Building)
▪ Periférica L-2 (you can take the bus in Sabana, San José, Hatillo or San Sebastián)
These routes leave the student in the bus stop located on the east side of ULACIT:
▪ Heredia - San José
▪ Heredia - Santo Domingo de Heredia
▪ Tibás passing by the Playwood
▪ León 13 through San José
▪ Tibás - Colima
These routes leave the student in front of the bus terminal to the Atlantic (Caribeños):
University staff and host families will provide assistance to visiting students in order to identify the best routes for traveling between home and the university.
Should you decide to hire a taxi service, the address you provide to get to the University is: from the newspaper La República in Barrio Tournón, 150 south, although most all taxi drivers will be familiar with our university's location.
Local taxi services contact information are as follows:
▪ Coopetico: 2224-7979
▪ Coopetaxi: 2235-9966
▪ Taxis Alfaro: 2221-8466
▪ Coopeguaria: 2226-1366
▪ Taxis San Jorge: 2221-3434
▪ Taxi Aeropuerto: 2222-6865
The trains that stop nearest ULACIT are in the Atlantic Train Station and in Cuatro Reinas de Tibás, around 30 minutes away from campus.