Frequently Asked Questions by International Students

1. Where is ULACIT located?

The university is located within walking distance from the heart of San José (less than 10 minutes walk). The address is: 150 mts. south from La República newspaper in Barrio Tournón.


2. Can I get academic credit for my courses?

Yes, you can. Credit is granted by pre-arrangement with home institution.


3. Am I automatically insured when I sign up for your programs?

No, you are not. You are responsible for your own insurance with international coverage. Before coming to Costa Rica, you must show proof of your insurance to the Global Education Office.


4. Which courses are taught in English?

Many of our Business Administration and International Relations courses are taught in English; different elective courses in the areas of culture and communication, political, economic and social sciences are also available in English.

The courses within the Spanish Language Immersion program are taught in Spanish as well as most courses in all other majors. 


5. Can I work during my study program?

If you are interested in studying and working, you have to sign up for an internship program and meet the requirements we have established.


6. Do I have to take Spanish classes?

No. You are not required to take Spanish classes; although we recommend you to take one course of Spanish to make your experience more comfortable and enriching.


7. How many Spanish or elective courses can I take?

You can take as many as you want; the normal load per student in our university is four courses per term. Please bear in mind you may have to adjust to an institutional agreement if tuition waive is expected. If you are planning to pay for your courses directly to ULACIT, you just need to select the courses you are interested in and comply with the requirements we have established.  


8. Do I need a visa?

You don’t need a visa if you are planning to study in our country for less than three months, the required maximum time. However, if you are planning to stay longer than three months you must process a student visa. For detailed information on this matter please access the following section Visas and Transcripts


9. What documents will I need to process my student visa?

  • Two passport-size photos.
  • Birth certificate, issued by the corresponding office in the country of origin of the student or professor, properly authenticated by the respective consulate of Costa Rica in the country of the student’s origin, and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Costa Rica.
  • Authenticated Birth certificate must also be authenticated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Costa Rica. The University can do this process at an additional cost to the student.
  • Proof of enrollment at the receiving university through a Student Certification form, which can be requested at ULACIT’s Registrar´s Office. The Global Education Office can help in soliciting this certification to the Registrar’s Office. The cost for it is ¢15250 colones (around $30).
  • Criminal background certificate, issued by the corresponding office in the country of origin of the student or professor, properly authenticated by the respective consulate and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Costa Rica.
  • Photocopy of the entire passport (all the pages and the cover).  It should be verified that the legal stay in the country has not expired.


10. Will I have internet access at the university?

Yes, you will. We have free wireless internet access in all our campuses. We also have a computer lab, located on the 6th floor next to the library. This service is also free.


11. What is the cost of living in Costa Rica?

The national currency in the country is the Colón.  One dollar is 550 colones approximately.

Examples of costs are:

A one-way bus ride: 320 to 450 colones

A taxi ride of 3 miles: around 3000 colones, depending on the hour.

A full meal at the University's cafeteria with dessert and drink: 3,500 colones.

Photocopies: 20 colones each page. 


12. Do I have to take the lodging option you offer?

Yes, you do if you are coming within a student exchange agreement. Only fee-paying students are allowed to choose whether or not they stay with a host family. We highly recommend international students to stay with our host families as it is cheaper, safer and it will help you to be in closer contact with the culture.

Students who prefer to look for an apartment or stay with friends or relatives have to manage their lodging on their own and follow the institutions regulations and policies.


13. How far do these families live from the university?

Usually they live about 15 minutes away by bus from the university.


14. What is the Costa Rican diet like?

Costa Rican cuisine is simple but heavy on oil and carbohydrates. Native dishes, rely heavily on rice and beans, the basis of many Costa Rican meals. Gallo Pinto, the national dish of fried rice and black beans is particularly served for breakfast. Vegetables and fruits form a large part of the diet.

Costa Rica home cuisine has an inordinately amount of fried foods.  Although Costa Rica is surrounded by the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, seafood is a bit expensive as the country exports the bulk of its seafood. Chicken, pork, and beef are the most popular meats.

For more information, please contact the Global Education Office at or call +506 2523 4095.