Study Abroad Programs
The Global Education Office (GEO), a team of professionals in the field of international education and multicultural learning, welcomes you to the International Programs at ULACIT. The programs we administer encompass a broad list of elective courses in an array of disciplines, international certifications, Spanish language learning courses, community outreach, internships, and service learning programs. International students can choose from complementing their majors with courses taken at a foreign university and obtain an international certification to experience the Costa Rican culture and language more deeply by enrolling in our service learning, internship or community work programs.
Along with the academic experience, GEO and ULACIT also offer students a broad range of services, including housing with local families, a culturally-enriched welcome week experience, weekly Spanish fun chats, student clubs, computer labs and classrooms with specialized software and equipment. Students can also take a break at our cafeteria, study at the library or use our individual and group study rooms and recreational areas all over campus.
Additionally, GEO advisors provide constant assistance on each aspect of the study abroad experience and facilitate different traveling options inside the country during all school year.
GEO offers the following programs for international students:
- Semester Abroad. Students can enroll courses from any of our programs. Business Administration, International Relations and the TESOL programs are fully taught in English as well as some of our humanities courses. Students with a high proficiency in the Spanish language can also opt for other courses taught in Spanish. All our incoming students are awarded a grade transcript at the end of the experience which is commonly used for credit transfer at the home university. Our terms start in January, May and September each year.
- Spanish Immersion program. Our program encompasses seven levels, from introductory to advance, which students can enroll at a regular or intensive pace. All our Spanish courses always include tours of cultural interest, social activities with local students and innovative outdoor activities. The Spanish program is run throughout the year.
- Summer Programs. These courses are designed for students that would like to spend their summer in Costa Rica, exploring different topics, and learning alongside a diverse set of peers. Our course offer provides a wide spectrum of topics for a variety of interests:
- Green Hospitality
- Music, Film & Photography Production
- Emerging Leaders Program
- Sustainable Development & Environmental Education
- Peace Building and Conflict Resolution: A Regional Case Study
- Exploring Foreign Investment and Entrepreneurship in Costa Rica
- Costa Rican Culture, Art & Crafts
- Tropical Ecology
- Costa Rica Alive!
The programs start from June 3rd to August 12th, 2017.
- Internship Program. This program allows students to have a global work experience as one of the very best things to prospect their careers. Students will be challenged to adapt both personally and professionally to multicultural environments, one of the most wanted soft skills nowadays. Interns take part in company projects within small and medium enterprises in Costa Rica. The program is run all year long.
- Spanish + Internship Program. It is a hybrid program especially designed for those students who want to improve their Spanish skills before living their internship experience. This program allows students to push their boundaries of what they are capable of in terms of professional knowledge while they communicate in a foreign language that will foster their careers.
- Faculty-Led programs: customized programs adapted to each university or faculty’s needs and goals (length, topics & budget). The most popular programs we have run during the past years include: peace studies & alternate conflict resolution, tropical ecology, foreign investment & entrepreneurship in Costa Rica, rural sustainable development and inclusive learning. For specific information or a proposal please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Service Learning program. In this program students have the opportunity to use critical thinking, problem-solving and collaborative skills to address real-world issues. They improve character values and responsible behavior, as they learn about cultural diversity and show more tolerance of ethnical diversity. This is a five-week summer program offered through two different focuses: rural or urban. Rural program from July 1st to August 5th. Urban program from May 20th to June 24th.
For more information, please download our International Programs Brochure below:
> GEO Brochure